Subject Area: Armenian Studies
Chair: Professor Mark Smith - Chair of Faculty Board
- This Fund supports the Professorship of Armenian Studies only
7. Calouste Gulbenkian Professor of Armenian Studies
1. The Calouste Gulbenkian Professor of Armenian Studies shall lecture and give instruction in Armenian Studies.
2. The professor shall be elected by an electoral board consisting of:
(1) the Vice-Chancellor, or, if the Master of Pembroke College is Vice-Chancellor, a person appointed by Council on the occurrence of a vacancy to act as an elector on that occasion;
(2) the Master of Pembroke College, or, if the Master is unable or unwilling to act, a person appointed by the Governing Body of Pembroke College on the occurrence of a vacancy to act as an elector on that occasion;
(3) a person appointed by the Governing Body of Pembroke College;
(4) a person appointed by Council;
(5) a person appointed by the General Board;
(6) a person elected by the Board of the Faculty of Theology and the Board of the Faculty of Literae Humaniores;
(7) a person elected by the Board of the Faculty of History;
(8), (9) two persons elected by the Board of the Faculty of Oriental Studies.
3. The professor shall be subject to the General Provisions of the decree concerning the duties of professors and to those Particular Provisions of the same decree which are applicable to this chair.
Committee for the Calouste Gulbenkian Professorship of Armenian Studies
The Humanities Divisional Board is the board of management for this fund, and appoints a management committee on the recommendation of the Faculty Board of Oriental Studies.
The committee shall consist of the chair of the Board of Oriental Studies who shall be the chair of the committee; the Calouste Gulbenkian Professor of Armenian Studies ex officio; and two other members selected by the Board of Oriental Studies, who shall be elected for three years and shall be renewable. The first call upon the fund shall be the salary costs of the Professor, in accordance with the Statutes 2000, Ch.VII, Sect.III, Cl.15, p.395. The duty of the committee shall be to administer any surplus of the endowment for the Professorship and to make or recommend grants for purposes connected with the advancement of Armenian Studies in the University. The management committee shall not have any responsibility for questions regarding the chair supported by the Fund. The committee shall be empowered to make grants of up to £600 provided that such grants are reported to the next meeting of the faculty board. For grants of over £600 the committee shall submit recommendations for the faculty board’s approval. Detailed financial reports shall be forwarded to the Division for approval.
- Professor Edmund Herzig
- Professor Theo van Lint
- Dr David Taylor
- Professor Edmund Herzig