Subject Area: Indian History and Culture
Chair: Professor Mark Smith - Chair of Faculty Board
- Professorship of Indian History and Culture only
§ 128. Professor of Indian History and Culture
1. The University accepts with deep gratitude the benefaction from the Government of India, together with any further sums which may be contributed for the same purpose, for the establishment of a Professorship of Indian History and Culture.
2. The Professor of Indian History and Culture shall lecture and give instruction in Indian History and Culture.
3. The professor shall be elected by an electoral board consisting of:
(1) the Vice-Chancellor, or, if the head of the college specified in (2) of this clause is Vice-Chancellor, a person appointed by Council;
(2) the head of the college to which the professorship shall be for the time being allocated by Council under any decree in that behalf, or, if the head is unable or unwilling to act, a person appointed by the governing body of the college;
(3) a person appointed by the governing body of the college specified in (2) of this clause;
(4), (5) two persons appointed by Council, one of whom shall be appointed after consultation with the Government of India;
(6) a person appointed by the Humanities Board;
(7)-(9) three persons appointed by the Board of the Faculty of Oriental Studies.
4. The professor shall be subject to the General Provisions of the decree concerning the duties of professors and to those Particular Provisions of the same decree which are applicable to this chair.
Committee for the Professorship of Indian History and Culture
The Humanities Divisional Board is the board of management for this fund, and appoints a management committee on the recommendation of the Faculty Board of Oriental Studies.
The committee shall consist of the chair of the Faculty Board of Oriental Studies who shall be the chair of the committee; the Professor of Indian History and Culture ex officio; and two other members selected by the Board of Oriental Studies, who shall be elected for three years and shall be renewable. The first call upon the fund shall be the salary costs of the Professor, in accordance with the Statute published in the Gazette on 11 January 2001. The duty of the committee shall be to administer any surplus of the endowment for the Professorship and to make or recommend grants for purposes connected with the advancement of the study of Indian History and Culture in the University. The management committee shall not have any responsibility for questions regarding the chair supported by the Fund. The committee shall be empowered to make grants of up to £600 provided that such grants are reported to the next meeting of the board. For grants of over £600 the committee shall submit recommendations for the board’s approval. Detailed financial reports shall be forwarded to the Division for approval.
- Professor Mark Smith
- Professor Rosalind O'Hanlon
- Professor Christopher Minkowski
- Professor Imre Bangha