Subject Area: Chinese Language and Literature
Chair: Professor Rana Mitter
- For the purposes of funding the Professorship of a Chinese Lecturer and whose job it will be to give instruction within the field of Chinese Language and Literature
§ 51. Shaw Professor of Chinese
1. The Shaw Professor of Chinese shall lecture and give instruction within the field of Chinese language and literature.
2. The professor shall be elected by an electoral board consisting of:
(1) the Vice-Chancellor, or, if the Master of University College is Vice-Chancellor, a person appointed by Council on the occurrence of a vacancy to act as an elector on that occasion;
(2) the Master of University College, or, if the Master is unable or unwilling to act, a person appointed by the Governing Body of University College on the occurrence of a vacancy to act as an elector on that occasion;
(3) a person appointed by the Governing Body of University College;
(4) a person appointed by Council;
(5) a person appointed by the General Board;
(6), (7) two persons elected by the Board of the Faculty of Oriental Studies.
3. The professor may be permitted by the General Board to take a period of absence exceptionally for travel and research without loss of income.
4. The professor shall be subject to the General Provisions of the decree concerning the duties of professors and to those Particular Provisions of the same decree which are applicable to this chair.
Run Run Shaw Fund (and Chinese Professorship)
The board of management shall be the China Centre Management Committee, which shall administer the funds in accordance with Statutes, 2000, Ch.VII. Sect. III, pp. 408-9 and ibid, p. 409. Grants shall not be subject to a specific spending limit, although the expenditure shall be reported to the Faculty Board of Oriental Studies from time to time.
- Professor Rana Mitter
- Professor Barend ter Haar
- Professor Henrietta Harrison
- Professor Rachel Murphy
- Mr Joshua Seufert
- Ms Vicki Stott
- Professor Craig Clunas
- Professor Xiaolan Fu