Subject Area: Persian Studies
Chair: Professor Mark Smith - Chair of Faculty Board
- Funding to support the Professor of Persian Studies
§ 249. Masoumeh and Fereydoon Soudavar Professor of Persian Studies
1. The University accepts with deep gratitude the sum of £700,000 from Mr. Fereydoon Soudavar for the endowment of the Masoumeh and Fereydoon Soudavar Professorship of Persian Studies and for the provision of support costs for the professorship.
2. The Masoumeh and Fereydoon Soudavar Professor of Persian Studies shall lecture and give instruction in Persian Studies.
3. The professor shall be elected by an electoral board consisting of:
(1) the Vice-Chancellor, or, if the head of the college specified in (2) of this clause is Vice-Chancellor, a person appointed by Council on the occurrence of a vacancy to act as an elector on that occasion;
(2) the head of the college to which the professorship shall be for the time being allocated by Council under any decree in that behalf, or, if the head is unable or unwilling to act, a person appointed by the governing body of the college on the occurrence of a vacancy to act as an elector on that occasion;
(3) a person appointed by the governing body of the college specified in (2) of this clause;
(4), (5) two persons appointed by Council;
(6) a person appointed by the Humanities Board;
(7)-(9) three persons appointed by the Board of the Faculty of Oriental Studies.
4. The professor shall be subject to the General Provisions of the decree concerning the duties of professors and to those Particular Provisions of the same decree which are applicable to this chair.
5. The first charge on the income of the endowment shall be the salary costs of the professor. The second charge shall be the provision, under such arrangements as the Board of the Faculty of Oriental Studies may determine, of support, including secretarial support, travelling expenses, and research expenses, for the professor.
6. Any residue not required to meet the expenditure under clause 5 may be expended at the discretion of the faculty board for the promotion of Persian Studies within the University.
Committee for the Soudavar Fund
The committee shall consist of the chair of the board, the Soudavar Professor and the University Lecturer in Persian ex officio and one other member selected by the Board of Oriental Studies, who shall be elected for three years and shall be renewable. Its duty shall be to administer the surplus of the endowment for the Professorship (see Statutes, 2000, Ch.IX, Sect.I, §328, p.727). The allocation of funds for the Professor’s support costs shall not be subject to a specific spending limit, although the expenditure shall be reported to the committee from time to time. The committee shall be empowered to make other grants of up to £600 provided that such grants are reported to the next meeting of the board. For grants of over £600 the committee shall submit recommendations for the board’s approval.
- Professor Mark Smith
- Professor Edmund Herzig
- Professor Rosalind O'Hanlon
- Professor Dominic Brookshaw