Subject Area: Islamic Art and Architecture
Chair: Professor Jeremy Johns
Administrator: Tricia Davies
- Funding of the post of Lecturer in Islamic Art and Architecture only
§ 147. University Lecturer in Islamic Art and Architecture
1. This University accepts with deep gratitude from anonymous benefactors an endowment fund of £310,000 and any further sums which may be provided for the establishment of a University Lecturership in Islamic Art and Architecture and the promotion of the study of that subject in the University.
2. The University Lecturer in Islamic Art and Architecture shall lecture and give instruction in Islamic Art and Architecture under the direction of the Board of the Faculty of Oriental Studies.
3. The lecturer shall be appointed by the Board of the Faculty of Oriental Studies in accordance with the provisions of Ch. VII, Sect. IV, § 3.
4. Such part of the endowment as the General Board shall determine is not required to meet the costs of the lecturership shall be applied to the promotion of the study of Islamic Art and Architecture in such manner as the Board of the Faculty of Oriental Studies, with the approval of the General Board, shall from time to time determine.
5. Council shall have power to amend this decree, provided that the main object of the endowment, as set out in cl. 1 hereof, shall always be observed.
Committee on the endowment for the Lecturership in Islamic Art and Architecture
The first call on the fund shall be the appointment of a University Lecturer in Islamic Art and Architecture. Any such part of the endowment that is not required to meet the costs of the lecturership shall be applied to the promotion of the study of Islamic Art and Architecture in accordance with Statutes 2000, Ch.VII, Sect.III, §142, p.442.
The management of the fund shall be delegated to the Management Committee of the Khalili Research Centre. Each year the committee shall present estimates for expenditure for the approval of the Board and shall at the same time present a report on its expenditure for the previous year. Proposals for major expenditure outside the categories established in the estimates or in excess of sums allocated provisionally in them shall be subject to board approval. The committee shall be empowered to make grants of up to £600 provided that such grants are reported to the next meeting of the board. For grants of over £600 the committee shall submit recommendations for the board’s approval.