Associate Professor of Modern Chinese; Fellow of Wadham College
Faculty / College Address:
My research and publications to date have focused on literary and visual culture in twentieth-century China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Japan, and I am currently completing a book on the intermedial relationships between photography and a range of other aesthetic forms – literature, cinema, painting, and sculpture – in post-socialist China.
- Literature, Modernity, and the Practice of Resistance: Japanese and Taiwanese Fiction, 1960-1990, Leiden: Brill Academic Publishers, 2007. 362 pp. ISBN 9004154787.
[Chinese translation of pp.105-172: “Chongshen Meiguo baquan”, trans. Chang Yu-min, Tu Hsin-hsin, and Cheng Hui-wen, in Li Sher-shiueh (ed.), Yidi fanhua: haiwai Taiwan wenxue wenlun xuanyi, vol. 2, Taibei: National Taiwan University Press, 2012, 229-320].
- Documenting China: An Interpretive Reader in Seminal Twentieth-Century Texts (with Chloë Starr), Seattle: University of Washington Press, 2011. 240 pp. ISBN 0295991275.
Edited special issues
- Guest editor, Contemporary East Asia, in Theory, special issue of Postcolonial Studies 13/4 (2010). http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/title~db=all~content=g929825695
- Guest editor, The Colour of Chinese Cinemas, special issue of Journal of Chinese Cinemas, 6/3 (2012). http://www.intellectbooks.co.uk/journals/view-issue,id=2338/
- Letters of Penance: Writing America in Chinese and the Location of Chinese American Literature”, MELUS 38/3 (2013), 44-66.
[Recipient of the Katherine Newman best essay award from the Society for the Study of the Multi-Ethnic Literatures of the US. Link to feature on Oxford University Press blog: http://blog.oup.com/2014/02/chinese-american-literature-in-chinese-language/]
- “Hero, Kurosawa, and a Cinema of Synaesthesia”, Screen 54/2 (2013), 127-151.
- “Chromatic Expressionism in Contemporary Chinese Cinemas”, Journal of Chinese Cinemas 6/3 (2012), 211-231.
- “Communitarianism, or, How to Build East Asian Theory”, Postcolonial Studies 13/4 (2010), 317-334.
- “Nostalgia, Place, and Making Peace with Modernity in East Asia”, Postcolonial Studies 13/4 (2010), 383-402.
[Reprinted in Jeroen de Kloet and Lena Scheen (eds.), Spectacle and the City: Urbanity in Popular Culture and Art in East Asia, Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press, 2013].
- “Murakami Haruki in Greater China: Creative Responses and the Quest for Cosmopolitanism”, Journal of Asian Studies 68/3 (2009), 715-747.
- “Of Myths and Men: Better Luck Tomorrow and the Mainstreaming of Asian America Cinema”, Cinema Journal 47/4 (2008), 50-75.
[Reprinted in Kathryn Karrh Cashin and Stacy Lynn Tanner (eds.), Multicultural Film: An Anthology, Boston: Pearson Publishing, 2011].
- “Doppelgängers, Misogyny, and the San Francisco System: the Occupation Narratives of Ôe Kenzaburô”, Journal of Japanese Studies 33/2 (2007), 383-414.
- “The National Allegory Revisited: Writing Private and Public in Contemporary Taiwan”, positions: east asia cultures critique 14/3 (2006), 633-662.
[Chinese translation: “Guojia yuyan zaitan: dangdai Taiwan de gongzhong yu simi shuxie”, trans. Chang Hsueh-mei, in Chiu Tzu-hsiu (ed.), Kua wenhua de xiangxiang zhutixing: Taiwan houzhimin/nüxing yanjiu lunshu, Taibei: National Taiwan University Press, 2012, 295-332].
- “Trauma and the Politics of Identity: Form and Function in Narratives of the February 28th Incident”, Modern Chinese Literature and Culture 17/2 (2005), 49-89.
- “Voices of Empire in Dubliners and Taibeiren” in Shu-mei Shih and Ping-hui Liao (eds.), Comparatizing Taiwan, New York and London: Routledge, 2014, 175-201.
- “The Personals: Backward Glances, Knowing Looks, and the Voyeur Film” in Chris Berry (ed.), Chinese Films in Focus 2, London, British Film Institute, 2008, 175-81.
- “Kubi to karada” (Head and Body) by Wu Yongfu, tr. M. Hillenbrand, Taiwan Literature: English Translation Series 19: Special Issue on Taiwan Literature During the Period of Japanese Rule (2006), 39-49.
- “Gu’er de yanjing. Wu Zhuoliu youjizhong de ziwo ningshi yu tazhe xiangxiang” (The Eyes of an Orphan: Gazing at the Self and Imagining the Other in the Travel Diaries of Wu Zhuoliu) by Jian Yiming, tr. M. Hillenbrand, Taiwan Literature: English Translation Series 15: Special Issue on Wu Zhuoliu (2004), 199-240.
Editorial and advisory boards
- Book series editor, East Asian Cinemas, Edinburgh University Press, 2012-
- Editorial board, Taiwan in Comparative Perspective, 2008-