Professor of Japanese Linguistics; Fellow of Hertford College
Faculty / College Address:
- Japanese linguistics
- Japanese-Korean comparative linguistics
- Historical linguistics
- Language change theory
- The Oxford Corpus of Old Japanese
- Reconstruction of proto-Japanese phonology and morphology (together with John Whitman, Cornell University)
- Verb semantics and argument realization in pre-modern Japanese: A comprehensive study of the basic syntax of pre-modern Japanese
- Old Japanese
- Classical Japanese
- Japanese grammar
- History and structure of Japanese
- Japanese linguistics
- 2016 (with John Whitman). “The Historical Source of the Bigrade Transitivity Alternations in Japanese”. Transitivity and Valency Alternations: Studies on Japanese and Beyond, edited by Taro Kageyama and Wesley Jacobsen, pp. 289-310. De Gruyter Mouton.
- 2015 (with Stephen Horn and Yuko Yanagida). “Differential object marking in Old Japanese: A corpus based study.” In Historical Linguistics 2013: Selected papers from the 21st International Conference on Historical Linguistics, Oslo, 5-9 August 2013, edited by Dag Haug, pp. 195-211. John Benjamins.
- 2015. “Why romanize a corpus of (Old) Japanese?”.コーパスと日本語史研究 Corpus-Based Historical Studies in Japanese, edited by Yasuhiro Kondo, Makiro Tanaka, and Toshinobu Ogiso, pp. 167-175. Hituzi Syobo Publishing.
- 2014. “Okkusufoodo joodai nihongo koopasu [オックスフォード上代日本語コーパス The Oxford Corpus of Old Japanese]”. Nihongogaku [published by Meiji Shoin], 33/14, pp. 42-54.
- 2013. Japanese/Korean Linguistics 20. (edited with Peter Sells). Stanford: CSLI Publications
- 2013. “Remarks on the verb suru in Old Japanese – A corpus based study. 上代日本語の「スル」について -- コーパスによる研究”. NINJAL Project ReviewVol.3 No. 3, pp. 152-77.
- 2013. (with Stephen W. Horn, Kerri L. Russell, and Peter Sells). 2013. “Provisional and Conditional Clauses in Old Japanese.” Proceedings of the 8th Workshop on Altaic Formal Linguistics (= MIT Working Papers in Linguistics 67), edited by Umut Ozge, pp. 65-78.
- 2013. 私が薦めるケンブリッジ大学出版局の本 The languages of Japan (Masayoshi Shibatani) [Watashi ga susumeru Kenburijji Daigaku Shuppankyoku no hon: The languages of Japan (Masayoshi Shibatani)]". Daigaku Shuppan 93, 16-17. Tokyo.
- 2012. Studies in Japanese and Korean Linguistics (edited, with Jieun Kiaer and Janick Wrona). LINCOM.
- 2012. "Chronological Layering in proto-Japanese and pre-Old Japanese Verb Inflection". In Frellesvig. Kiaer, Wrona 2012, pp. 28-47.
- 2011. (with John Whitman). “Prenominal Complementizers and the Derivation of Complex NPs in Japanese and Korean”. Japanese/Korean Linguistics 18, pp. 73-87.
- 2010. (with Stephen Horn, Kerri Russell and Peter Sells). “Verb Semantics and Argument Realization in Pre-Modern Japanese: A Preliminary study of Compound Verbs in Old Japanese”. Gengo Kenkyū 138:25-65.
- 2010. A history of the Japanese language. Cambridge University Press