Retired Research Fellow, Assyriology
Faculty / College Address:
- Akkadian literature and history
- The Hanging Garden of Babylon: an elusive World Wonder traced. OUP forthcoming 2013.
- "Kish and Hursagkalama: An Assessment of the cities' history and cults in the light of information from cuneiform texts", ed. Karen Wilson, Kish (Chicago Field Museum and Univ. Chicago Press) in press
- "Seven naptanum texts from the reign of Rim-Sin I of Larsa", co-authored with Muayad Sulaiman, forthcoming, Iraq 74, 2012.
- "Gods from north-eastern and north-western Arabia in cuneiform texts from the First Sealand Dynasty, and a cuneiform inscription from Tell en-Nasbeh", forthcoming in Arabian Archaeology and Epigraphy.
- "Nakhthor in Assyria", for the Arshama project ed. J.Ma and C.Tuplin, OUP forthcoming
- "Ancient Mesopotamian Temples as sacred groves, and the adoption of date-palm symbolim in Syrian, Phoenician and Ionic Greek architecture", for conference on ancient gardens, Fondation Hardt, Geneva 2013.
- "Ancient Mesopotamian literature and the environment", ed. Louise Westling, History of Literature and the Environment (CUP)
- A Short History of Babylon (IB Tauris).
- Akkadian Set Texts and Background Lectures for the BA and MPhil courses, as required.
- F.N.H. Al-Rawi and S. Dalley, Old Babylonian Texts from Private Houses at Abu Habbah, Ancient Sippir: NABU Publications 2000
- The legacy of Mesopotamia, Oxford; Oxford University Press 1998 (Chinese translation forthcoming)
- Myths from Mesopotamia, Oxford: Oxford University Press 1997. Also published in Arabic by Besan Publishing, Beirut. Arabic translation by Najwa Nasr
- "Old Babylonian Texts in the Ashmolean Museum", Oxford Editions of Cuneiform Texts vol. XV: OUP 2004
- "Sennacherib, Archimedes and the Water Screw: The Context of Invention in the Ancient World" in Technology and Culture 44/1 pp1-26 (with J.P. Oleson)
- "Semiramis in History and Legend. A case study in interpretation of an Assyrian historical tradition". Paper given at a conference in Elmau, Bavaria, Oriens et Occidens 8, ed. E. Gruen, 11-22, 2005
- Contributions "The Hanging Gardens of Babylon" and "Mesopotamia, ancient" to Oxford Companion to the Garden, 2006
- "The Language of Destruction and its Interpretation". Paper given at the 4th International Congress of the Archaeology of the Ancient Near East, Berlin, Baghader Mitteilungen 36, 2005, 275-285.
- Book, "Esther's Revenge at Susa", showing that the biblical book of Esther comes from an Assyrian court narrative rootes in specific historical events. Oxford University Press 2007
- 2005 Old Babylonian Texts in the Ashmolean Museum Mainly from Larsa, Sippir, Kish, and Lagaba. Oxford Editions of Cuneiform Texts XV (OUP)
- 2009 Babylonian Tablets from the First Sealand Dynasty in the Schoyen Collection, Cornell University Studies in Assyriology and Sumerology 9 (CDL Press)
- 2011 Japanese translation by T.Ohtsu, of Mari and Karana, Two Old Babylonian Cities.
- 2008 "Babylon as a name for other cities including Nineveh" ed. R.D.Biggs et al, Proceedings of the 51st Rencontre Assyriologique 2005 (University of Chicago)
- 2008 "The Identity of the Princesses in Tomb II and a new Analysis of events in 701 BC" ed. J.E.Curtis et al., New Light on Nimrud, Proceedings of the Nimrud Conference, British Museum 2002. British Institute for the Study of Iraq.
- 2010 "Temple Building in the Ancient Near East: A Synthesis and Reflection", ed. M.Boda and J.Novotny, From the Foundations to the Crenellations. Essays on Temple Building in the Ancient Near East and Hebrew Bible, Ugarit-Verlag, Münster, AOAT 366.
- 2010 "Old Babylonian Prophecies at Uruk and Kish", ed. A.Slotsky and S.Melville, Opening the tablet Box. Near Eastern Studies in Honor of Benjamin R. Foster (Brill).
- Radio programme recording: on Babylon; and on the Gilgamesh epic, 2006
- TV programme on Assyrian Lion-hunts, Channel 4, 2006.