Associate Professor and Cowley Lecturer in Modern Hebrew Literature; Fellow, Oxford Centre for Hebrew and Jewish Studies
Faculty / College Address:
Modern Hebrew and Israeli poetry; translation history and theory; diaspora and transnationalism; language politics in Israel; literary bilingualism and multilingualism; comparative poetics; political poetry and digital culture.
I am currently preparing a book manuscript titled Strange Cocktail: Poetics and Practices of Translation in Modern Hebrew Poetry and researching a future book project on contemporary Israeli poetry and the economy of translation.
- Modern Hebrew and Israeli Literature
- Post-War Jewish Literature
- “Where You Are From: The Poetry of Vaan Nguyen.” Shofar: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Jewish Studies 33, 4, Contemporary Israeli Literature (Summer 2015): 83-110.
- “Hebrew on a Desert Island: The Case of Annabelle Farmelant.” Studies in American Jewish Literature, Special Issue, eds. Kathryn Hellerstein and Maeera Shreiber (Spring 2015): 154-174.
- “The Go-Betweens: Leah Goldberg, Yehuda Amichai and the Figure of the Poet Translator,” The Blackwell Companion to Translation Studies, eds. Sandra Bermann and Catherine Porter (Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishing Ltd, 2014): 479-491.
- “Hebrew Remembers Yiddish: The Poetry of Avot Yeshurun.” Choosing Yiddish: Studies in Yiddish Literature, Culture and History, eds. Lara Rabinovitch, Shiri Goren and Hannah Pressman (Detroit: Wayne State University Press, 2013): 296-313.
- “From IDF to .pdf: War Poetry in the Israeli Digital Age.” Narratives of Dissent: War in Contemporary Israeli Arts and Culture, eds. Rachel S. Harris and Ranen Omer-Sherman (Detroit: Wayne State University Press, 2012): 153-166.
- “Paris or Jerusalem: The Multilingualism of Esther Raab.” Prooftexts: A Journal of Jewish Literary History 26, 1/2 (2006): 6-28.