Associate Professor of the Modern History of the Middle East; Fellow of St Antony's College
Faculty / College Address:
- The Arab world from the 18th to the 20th century
- Arab provinces of the Ottoman Empire
- The Palestine War of 1948
- The First World War in the Middle East
- Oral history project on the Palestine Police ad the End of the Palestine Mandate, funded by the Council for British Research in the Levant
- The Arabs: A History. This major newinterpretation of Arab history, covering the years 1516 to present, is scheduled for publication by Penguin Books and Basic Books in November 2009.
- The Great War in the Middle East: a new book project examining the impact of the First World War on the region.
- The Middle East in Modern Times: History of the Middle East in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries
- The history of the Palestinian mandate: graduate methodology seminar
- Outside In: On the Margins of the Modern Middle East (ed.) London: I.B. Tauris, 2001
- The War for Palestine: Rewriting the History of 1948 (eds) with Avi Shlaim. Cambridge: C.U.P., 2008
- Frontiers of the State in the Late Ottoman Empire. Transjordan, 1850-1921, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press 1999
- with A.K. Bowman (eds.), Agriculture in Egypt from Pharaonic to Modern Times (Proceedings of the British Academy, 96), Oxford: Oxford University Press 1999
- "Asiret Mektebi: Abdulhamid II's School for Tribes", International Journal of Middle East Studies 28 (1996): 83-107