Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Nizami Ganjavi Programme for the study of languages and cultures of Azerbaijan and the Caucasus)
Faculty / College Address:
- Early Islamic Archaeology and History of the Caucasus and Central Asia
- Landscape Archaeology and Geographical Information Systems
Archaeological Exploration of Barda'a Project (AEB): Archaeological survey of the Late Antique and early Islamic city of Barda'a, Azerbaijan. In association with the Nizami Ganjavi Programme for the study of languages and cultures of Azerbaijan and the Caucasus. http://www.orinst.ox.ac.uk/research/nizami-ganjavi/excavation-of-barda
Balkh Art and Cultural Heritage Project (BACH): Researching the history and archaeology of Balkh, Northern Afghanistan in the early Islamic period. http://balkhheritage.org
- Wordsworth, P. (forthcoming). Balkh as a Central Asian ‘oasis city’ in the middle Islamic period (11th-16th centuries). In B. Walker (ed.) Oxford Handbook of Islamic Archaeology. Oxford University Press.
- McPhillips, S. and Wordsworth, P. (eds.) 2016. Landscapes of the Islamic World: Archaeology, History and Ethnography. Philadelphia, PA: University of Pennsylvania Press.
- Wordsworth, P. 2016. “Sustaining Travel - the economy of medieval stopping-places across the Karakum Desert, Turkmenistan”. In McPhillips, S. and Wordsworth, P. (eds.), Landscapes of the Islamic World: Archaeology, History and Ethnography. Philadelphia, PA: University of Pennsylvania Press.
- Wordsworth, P. 2015. Merv on Khorasanian trade routes from the 10th-13th centuries. In R. Rante (ed.) Greater Khorasan. Studies in the History and Culture of the Middle East 29. Berlin: De Gruyter. 51-62.
- Barton, J. and Wordsworth, P. 2012. Multi-Scalar GIS at Merv, Turkmenistan: bringing it all together. Computer Applications and Quantitative Methods in Archaeology (CAA). Proceedings of the 36th International Conference, Budapest, 2nd-6th April 2008.
- Richter, T., al-Naimi, F. A., Yeomans, L., House, M., Collie, T., Bangsgaard Jensen, P., Rosendahl, S., Wordsworth, P. and Walmsley, A. 2012. The 2010–2011 excavation season at al-Zubārah, north-west Qatar (poster). Proceedings of the Seminar for Arabian Studies 42: 1-10.
- Richter, T. Wordsworth, P. and Walmsley, A. 2011. Pearl fishers, Townsfolk, Bedouin and Sheikhs: Economic and Social Relations in Islamic Al Zubarah. Proceedings of the Seminar for Arabian Studies 41: 1-16.
- Williams, T. and Wordsworth, P. 2011. Merv to the Oxus: a desert survey of routes and surviving archaeology. Archaeology International 12: 27-30.
- Wordsworth, P. 2010. Traversing the Karakum: Approaches to defining trade networks through the desert landscapes of Medieval Central Asia. ArchAtlas, Version 4.1, http://www.archatlas.org/workshop09/works09-wordsworth.php
- Wordsworth, P. 2008. Neighbourhoods in the Early Islamic City: A Comparative Study of Urban and Suburban Structural Evolution at Merv, Turkmenistan. Unpublished MA Thesis, University College, London.
- Wordsworth, P. 2006. An Examination of the Threats to the Archaeology of Northern Afghanistan in a Post-War Context with Reference to Three Sites of Contrasting Origins. Unpublished BA Thesis, University College, London.