Dr Toufoul Abou-Hodeib
Departmental Lecturer in the Modern History of the Middle East
Faculty / College Address:
- Arab World in the 19th-20th century
- Reform and Modernisation in the Middle Eas
- Cultural History
- Domesticity and the emergence of a middle class in late Ottoman Beirut, investigating the late Ottoman urban home as a meeting point between administrative and legal state reforms, intellectual projects and new consumption practices.
- 19th and 20th century history of sacred sites in what is today South Lebanon, looking at the relation between the modernisation of religion and politics and the shift from a multi-religious to a communitarian sanctity.
History of the Middle East in the Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries
- “Taste and Class in Late Ottoman Beirut,” International Journal of Middle East Studies 43 (2011): 475-492.
- “Researching Domestic Life in Late Ottoman Beirut ,” Syrian Studies Association Newsletter, vol. 15, no. 2 (2009).
- “Hanna Mina,” Dictionary of Literary Biography: 20th-Century Arabic Writers, vol. 346, al-Mallah and Fitzpatrick eds. (Detroit: Gale Research Inc., 2008), 171-177.
- “Quarantine and Trade: The Case of Beirut, 1831-1840,” International Journal of Maritime History 19 (2007): 223-243.