Celia J. Kerslake
Retired University Lecturer, Turkish
Faculty / College Address:
- Turkish linguistics and stylistics
- Modern Turkish literature and intellectual history (from the mid-19th century)
- A study of nominal apposition in Turkish
- Turkish: An Essential Grammar (with Aslı Göksel, to be published by Routledge
- Turkish language
- Modern Turkish literary texts
- Modern Turkish political and cultural texts
- Late Ottoman and modern Turkish history
- Ottoman literary texts
- Turkish language reform and language politics
- 2007 ‘Alternative subordination strategies in Turkish’, in Jochen Rehbein, Christiane Hohenstein and Lukas Pietsch (eds), Connectivity in Grammar and Discourse (Amsterdam and Philadelphia: John Benjamins), pp. 231-258. [Hamburg Studies on Multilingualism (HSM), Vol. 5.]
- 2006 ‘A contrastive study of the distribution of relative clauses in Turkish and English written texts’, in Semiramis Yağcioğlu and Aysşen Cem Değer (eds), Advances in Turkish Linguistics: Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Turkish Linguistics, 11-13 August, 2004, Dokuz Eylül University (Izmir: Dokuz Eylül Yayınları), pp. 179-191.
- 2005 (Co-authored with Aslı Göksel) Turkish: A Comprehensive Grammar. London and New York: Routledge. [Routledge Comprehensive Grammars.]
- 2003 ‘A new look at conditional constructions in Turkish’, in A.S. Özsoy, D. Akar, M. Nakipoglu-Demiralp, E. E. Erguvanli-Taylan, A.Aksu-Koc (eds) Studies in Turkish Linguistics (Istanbul: Bogazici University Press), pp. 215-226.
- 2002 ‘New directions in the Turkish novel’, in Brian Beeley (ed.), Turkish Transformation: New Century - New Challenges (Huntingdon: Eothen Press), pp. 99-122.
- 2001 ‘Does Turkish prefer events to states?’, Turkic Languages 5: 198-215.
- 2000 “Only’ a matter of focus?’, in Çigdem Balim-Harding and Colin Imber (eds), The Balance of Truth: Essays in Honour of Professor Geoffrey Lewis (Istanbul: The Isis Press), pp. 209-216.
- 2000 (Edited, with Aslı Göksel), Studies in Turkish: Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference on Turkish Linguistics, Lincoln College, Oxford, 12-14 August 1998 (Wiesbaden: Harrassowitz).
- 1998 ‘La construction d’une langue nationale sortie d’un vernaculaire impérial enflé: la transformation stylistique et conceptuelle du turc ottoman’, in Salem Chaker (ed.), Langues at Pouvoir: De l’Afrique du Nord à l’Extrême-Orient (Aix-en-Provence: Edisud), pp. 129-138.
- 1998 ‘Definiteness, referentiality and animacy in pronominal participial clauses in Turkish’ in Lars Johanson (ed.), The Mainz Meeting: Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference on Turkish Linguistics, August 3-6, 1994 (Wiesbaden: Harrassowitz), pp.321-347.
- 1998 ‘Ottoman Turkish’, in Lars Johanson and Éva Ágnes Csató (eds), The Turkic Languages (London and New York: Routledge), pp. 179-202.