British Academy Post-doctoral Fellow
Faculty / College Address:
Oriental Institute / St Peter's College
- Mahāyāna Buddhism in India and elsewhere.
- The tathāgatagarbha literature in India, China, and Tibet.
- Buddhist attitudes towards, and representations of, other religious traditions.
• Beings, Non-Beings, and Buddhas: contrasting notions of tathāgatagarbha in the Anūnatvāpūrṇatvanirdeśa and *Mahābherīsūtra. 2016. Journal of the Oxford Centre for Buddhist Studies, vol.10, pp.53-84.
• A Self-Aggrandizing Vehicle: tathāgatagabha, tīrthikas and the true self'. 2016 . Journal of the International Association of Buddhist Studies, vol.39, pp.115-170.
• Translating the Tīrthika: An Enduring ‘Heresy’ in Buddhist Studies. (forthcoming) 2018. In Alice Collett (ed.), Translating Buddhism: Collected Essays on Translation Theory and Practice (South Asia), SUNY Press.
• Selfhood and Mystery: Tathāgatagarbha Doctrine in the Mahāparinirvāṇamahāsūtra. (forthcoming) 2018. In Mark Blum & Masahiro Shimoda (eds.), volume on the Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra, Hamburg University Press.
• The Buddhist Self: on Tathāgatagarbha & Ātman. (forthcoming) 2018. Monograph under contract with University of Hawai'i Press.
Current reviews editor at Buddhist Studies Review
St. Peter's College profile - https://www.spc.ox.ac.uk/whos-here/academic/dr-christopher-v-jones