Departmental Lecturer in Classical Hebrew; Fellow of the Oxford Centre for Hebrew and Jewish Studies
Faculty / College Address:
Faculty of Asian and Middle Eastern Studies
History of the Hebrew Language, Textual Criticism, Literary History of the Hebrew Bible, History of Research
- Commentary on Exodus for the series Handbuch zum Alten Testament (Mohr Siebeck)
- Conference series “Book-Seams in the Hexateuch” funded by the Thyssen Stiftung (together with Prof. Dr Christoph Berner, Kiel, and Dr Stephen Germany, Basel)
- German Translation of the critical text of Avot de-Rabbi Natan A (together with Prof. Dr Hans-Jürgen Becker, Göttingen)
- Introduction to the Historical-Critical Methodology
- Deuteronomy, Judges, Deuteronomistic History, Theology of the Chronicler
- History of the Hebrew Language
- Northwest Semitic Inscriptions and the Bible
- Introduction to the Septuagint
- History of Ancient Israel and Judah
- Old Testament scholarship during the Nazi period
- Contact between Old Persian and Hebrew? A Rejoinder to A. Wilson-Wright. VT 70 (2020), 298–315.
- Levites, in: T&T Clark Encyclopaedia of Second Temple Judaism, ed. by Loren T. Stuckenbruck and Daniel M. Gurtner. London, New York: T&T Clark 2020, 435–438.
- Book-Seams in the Hexateuch I: The Literary Transitions between the Books of Genesis/Exodus and Joshua/Judges, ed. by Christoph Berner and Harald Samuel. FAT 120. Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck 2018.
- Competing Competencies: The Struggle for Authority in Deut 17:8–13 in Comparative Perspective, in: Debating Authority. Concepts of Leadership in the Pentateuch and the Former Prophets, ed. by Katharina Pyschny and Sarah Schulz. BZAW 507. Berlin, Boston: de Gruyter 2018, 178–192.
Full / Other Publications:
For a full list see here.