Senior Instructor in Classical and Modern Standard Arabic
Faculty / College Address:
Oriental Institute / Wolfson College
- The language of early Arabic poetry: representations of the pre-Islamic ethic and its transformation in early Islam
- Middle Arabic Grammar
- Monograph on Imru' al-Qays: the Arabian ethic before Islam
- The Arabic documents of Norman Siciliy, a new critical edition - with Jeremy Johns
- Working, with Julia Bray, on an updated edition of Media Arabic, Edinhburgh University Press.
- Elementary Standard Arabic
- Arabic language and Media Arabic for the MPhil in Modern Middle East Studies
- Historical Arabic for the MPhil in Medieval and Classical Islam
- Classical and Modern Standard Arabic as a subsidiary subject
- Option on the pre-Islamic ethic as represented in the poetry of Imru' al-Qays
- Further subject on the transformation of the pre-Islamic Arabian ethic in early Arabic poetry
- "Caliph and Qutb. Poetry as a Source for Interpreting the Transformation of the Byzantine Cross on Steps on Umayyad Coinage", Bayt al-Maqdis, Jerusalem and Early Islam, ed. J Johns, Oxford Studies in Islamic Art, IX. Part Two (Oxford University Press, 1999), pp 11-57.
- "An original Arabic document from crusader Antioch (1213 AD)", in Texts, Documents and Artefacts: Islamic Studies in Honour of D. S. Richards, ed. Chase F. Robinson (Brill, 2003), pp 157-90 (first author, with Jeremy Johns).
- "Playing for Time: maysir-gambling in early Arabic poetry", in Islamic Reflections, Arabic Musings: Studies in Honour of Alan Jones, eds Robert G. Hoyland & Philip F. Kennedy, (Gibb Memorial Trust, 2004), pp48-90.
- "Signs of the times: Arabic signatures as a measure of acculturation in Norman Sicily", Muqarnas: An Annual on the Visual Culture of the Islamic World, vol. 21 (Leiden, 2004 = Festschrift Professor J. M. Rogers, 2005), pp181-92 (second author, with Jeremy Johns).