The Faculty of Oriental Studies, in the University of Oxford, welcomes interest from suitably qualified applicants in this year's British Academy Postdoctoral Fellowship scheme. Awards would be taken up in September or October 2020. The scheme is designed to "offer opportunities for outstanding early career researchers to strengthen their experience of research and teaching in a university environment which will develop their curriculum vitae and improve their prospects of obtaining permanent lecturing posts by the end of the Fellowship."
At the time of advertising, the British Academy has not yet released full details of the 2019/20 scheme. Further details of last year’s scheme can be found on the British Academy website at: http://www.britac.ac.uk/british-academy-postdoctoral-fellowships.
Applicants applying to hold fellowships in the Faculty of Oriental Studies are asked to follow the steps listed below:
1. Ensure you meet the eligibility criteria. You must have/expect to have obtained your doctorate by 1 April 2020 and after 1 April 2017 (earlier dates only in extenuating circumstances, such as parental leave), and you must be a UK or EEA national, or have completed a doctorate at a UK university. Any applicant who does not fall into one of these categories must demonstrate a strong prior association with the UK academic community, for example through already having been employed in a temporary capacity for at least twelve months at a UK university.
2. Due to the high volume of applications, the BA does not allow re-submissions by those who have previously applied, unless by the BA’s invitation.
3. Think about who your referee for the BA application will be. One referee is required, and the BA recommends that this is usually the external examiner (this referee does not need to supply a reference for the internal Faculty deadline).
4. Identify and approach a potential mentor from within the University of Oxford’s Faculty of Oriental Studies. Ask your mentor to write a reference for the Faculty, confirming that they would be happy to act in this role. References and any questions about them should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by noon Friday 2 August 2019.
5. Prepare and submit the internal Oriental Studies BA PDF application form, available here: http://link.orinst.ox.ac.uk/bapdfapplicationform, also to email@example.com by noon Friday 2 August 2019.
6. Your application will then be considered by the Faculty's review panel for this scheme and further guidance will be sent to you.