Curator, Dept of Eastern Art, Ashmolean Museum; Faculty Tutor, Khalili Research Centre
Faculty / College Address:
- The arts of the Islamic book, particularly Persian illustrated texts and their role within a broad cultural context
Finalising for publicaion:
- ‘Prophets, Kings and Caliphs. An Ilkhanid illustrated copy of Bal‘ami's History in the Freer Gallery of Art’, Freer Gallery of Art Occasional Papers, New Series, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C.
- ‘Metalwork and the development of the classical style of Persian manuscript painting’ in “Metals and Metalworking in Islamic Iran”, conference held at the Chester Beatty Library, Dublin, 3–4th September 2004, to be published by Wordwell Books.
- ‘The codicology of the British Library’s Khwaju Kirmani manuscript dated 1396’.
- On-going administrative and archival work for the Creswell Photographic Archive, Department of Eastern Art, Ashmolean Museum.
- Persian painting 1250–1450.
- ‘Religious Diversity under Ilkhanid rule c. 1300 as reflected in the Freer Bal‘ami’ in “Beyond the Legacy of Genghis Khan”, ed. Linda Komaroff, Islamic History and Civilization, Studies and Texts, eds W. Kadi and R. Wielandt, vol. 64, Brill, Leiden and Boston, 2006, pp. 390–406.
- ‘Ferdowsi’s kings in Bal‘ami’s text: an alternative cycle from c. 1300’ in Proceedings of the Second Edinburgh Shahnama Conference, University of Edinburgh 8–9 March 2003.
- ‘Themes and images on the animate buff ware of mediaeval Nishapur’, Islamic Art.
- Member of Academic Advisory Committee of the Barakat Trust c/o Oriental Institute, University of Oxford.
- Council Member of the Iran Society, London.