Associate Professor of Modern Middle Eastern Studies
Faculty / College Address:
Oriental Institute / St Antony's College
- Mass media and popular culture of the Middle East
- A Symbolic Revolution: Culture and Politics in Post-Mubarak Egypt (under contract with Princeton University Press)
- A history of New Media in Egypt, 1919-1975
- For Final Honours School in Arabic and Islamic Studies or Arabic with a Subsidiary Language: Further Subject (3rd year) on Society and Culture in the Modern Arab World; Special Subject (4th year) in Popular Culture and Mass Media, 1930 to the Present.
- For the M.Phil in Modern Middle East Studies: Social Anthropology of the Middle East; Mass Media in the Middle East.
- 2013 “The Trickster in Egypt’s January 25th Revolution.” Comparative Studies in Society and History 55 (4): 834-864
- 2012 “Dreaming of Counter-revolution: Rami al-I‘tisami and the Pre-negation of Protest.” Cinema Journal 52 no. 1: 143-148.
- 2012 “History in Arab Media Studies: A Speculative Cultural History.” In Arab Cultural Studies, Tarik Sabry ed. I.B. Tauris, pp. 32-54.
- 2012 “Islamic Bodies and Neoliberal Places in Two Egyptian Films.” Material Religion 8 (3): 355-373
- 2012 “A History of New Media in the Arab Middle East,” 16(3): 155-174.
- 2012 “Sally Zahran: Ikunat al-Thaura.” Fusul 80: 84-125 (in Arabic, translated by Walid Sami Salim).
- 2012 “The Ambivalence of Martyrs and the Counter-revlution.” Cultural Anthropology: Journal of the Society for Cultural Anthropology, online “Hot Spots” section. http://www.culanth.org/?q=node/491.
- 2011 “The Revolution against Neoliberalism.” Jadaliyya February 23 http://www.jadaliyya.com/pages/index/717/the-revolution-against-neoliberalism-
- 2011 “Political Films in Contemporary Egypt.” In Josef Gugler ed., Film and Politics in the Middle East and North Africa: Creative Dissidence. Austin: University of Texas Press, pp. 228-251
- 2010 “Cinema and Television in the Arabic-speaking World.” Iin Robert hefner ed., New Cambridge History of Islam (Muslims and Modernity: Culture and Society since 1800). Vol. 6. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, pp. 625-647
- 2008 "Long Live Love: Patriarchy in the Time of Muhammad Abd al-Wahhab." History Compass 6 (http://www.blackwell-compass.com/subject/history/).