Departmental Lecturer in Modern Jewish History
Faculty / College Address:
- The Holocaust
- Memory and trauma theory
- Women of the Holocaust: gendering the Shoah (book under contract with OUP)
- Rape and sexual abuse in genocide (with the Shoah Foundation, LA)
- The Holocaust: from history to memory
- Memory in Modern Europe
- Gender and Genocide
- ‘Transcending History? Methodological Problems in Holocaust Testimony’ in The Holocaust and Historical Methodology, ed. Dan Stone (Berghahn, 2012).
- ‘Testimony and Silence: Sexual Violence and the Holocaust’, in Feminism, Literature and Rape Narratives: Violence and Violation, ed. Zoë Brigley and Sorcha Gunne (Routledge, 2010).
- ‘Towards an Integrated History of the Holocaust: Masculinity, Femininity, and Genocide’ in Years of Persecution, Years of Extermination: Saul Friedlander and the Future of Holocaust Studies, ed. Christian Wiese and Paul Betts (Continuum, 2010).
- ‘Testimonies as Sacred Texts: The Sanctification of Holocaust Writing’, in Past and Present, Supplement 5 (Aug 2010).
- ‘Rape and Sexual Abuse in Hiding’, in Sexual Violence against Women during the Holocaust, ed. Rochelle Saidel and Sonja Hedgepeth (Brandeis University Press/ University of New England Press, 2010). Runner up National Jewish Book Awards, 2011.
- ‘Thinking Against Evil? Hannah Arendt, Zygmunt Bauman, and the Writing of the Holocaust’, History of European Ideas, vol. 35 (2009).
- Writing the Holocaust: Identity, Testimony, Representation (Oxford University Press, 2006; paperback 2008).
- ‘Testimony and Representation’ in The Historiography of the Holocaust, ed. Dan Stone (Palgrave, 2004).
- ‘Unheard Testimony, Untold Stories: The Representation of Women’s Holocaust Experiences’, in Women’s History Review, vol. 12, no. 4 (2003). Winner of the Clare Evans Prize.